Hello There, Guest! Not a member yet? Need to register?  

Few questions

1. How big will be the official server(s) slot-wise? 
2. Will there be several official servers, or rather one big server with all the players?
3. How will you handle the server maintenance costs assuming the game will be single-pay after release?
4. Actual galaxies are huge, how will the problem of emptiness and player distribution be handled?
5. Have you considered putting the game on Kickstarter?

Anyways, I love the concept and hope the best for your project!

(2018-07-29, 17:06)Blut Wrote: 1. How big will be the official server(s) slot-wise? 
Our official servers will be capable of handling somewhere between 50 to 200 players simultaneously

(2018-07-29, 17:06)Blut Wrote: 2. Will there be several official servers, or rather one big server with all the players?
At first there will be one or two official servers, and more will be added as the number of players grow. 
But all official servers are linked and share the same Galaxy, which means that players will seamlessly switch from one server to another while traveling through space or on surface of planets. 

(2018-07-29, 17:06)Blut Wrote: 3. How will you handle the server maintenance costs assuming the game will be single-pay after release?
There will be one or more free servers, then we will add paid servers for more serious players. 
For paid servers, users will have the choice between Pay-per-spawn or Monthly with unlimited spawns (this is not a shooter nor is it a game where you die every day). 
However, anyone can start his own private server instance to play with friends. 

(2018-07-29, 17:06)Blut Wrote: 4. Actual galaxies are huge, how will the problem of emptiness and player distribution be handled?
This is a very important question since planets are of realistic sizes (thousands of km in diameter), distance between planets are also realistic (hundreds of millions of km), the distance between star systems are in average two light-years, and the total size of the game is a hundred thousand light-years across, in three dimensions. 
Different servers will handle different spawn points, and there will be some servers that will be assigned in real-time specific crowded locations. 
When players travel in space they will automatically switch server as needed, seamlessly. 
All official servers will be connected together to handle the entire galaxy, each with dynamic zone sizes. 
When a user chooses an official server from the list, he actually chooses a spawn location. 
If a user joins a Free server, he is actually joining a free spawn point, then he can still access the paid spawn points for free if he manages to travel there by his own means. 
Besides helping us pay for the servers, the reason for these paid spawn points is so that players can choose more stable spawn points that are less crowded or with more serious players. 

(2018-07-29, 17:06)Blut Wrote: 5. Have you considered putting the game on Kickstarter?
I am considering it, however the additional work of making a presentation video and preparing the campaign will add a one month delay on the development. 
In other words, if the kickstarter succeeds I will be able to work on it 80 hours per week (that's my definition of full time) and the development will accelerate, but if it fails or doesn't reach enough money we will have effectively lost one month of development time. 

But this project is not for money, its just my passion and it's what I'd like to do full time. 
I'm open to suggestions.
---------------------------------------------------
ZOlivier, 
Main developer and Founder of Galaxy4D

Information 

Wait, so there will essentially be multiple "quadrants," separated by individual servers?

If that is so, then the server-end technology for Galaxy4D seems very advanced, more than I could ever have imagined.

Also, as for Kickstarter, It is possible you could have volunteers who have the knowledge of working with Kickstarter make the campaign, so you can focus as much of your time as possible to creating the game you want Galaxy4D to be.

I personally have little to no knowledge in the website, but I am sure there are at least few interested people who may want to help. Wink

But seriously, kudos to the server tech. If it is what I picture it to be, this game will be even better than it already is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't choose this life. It was handed to me by the Universe.

(2018-07-30, 22:34)Nick Wrote: Wait, so there will essentially be multiple "quadrants," separated by individual servers?
Not really quadrants, because servers will have variable zone sizes based on population and each could handle multiple zones, but yes all official servers will be linked to form the entire galaxy with seamless switch between them. 
For instance, there will be one server per spawn point with varying radius, plus a few spare servers that will handle other crowded areas, plus one for the rest of the galaxy. 

(2018-07-30, 22:34)Nick Wrote: Also, as for Kickstarter, It is possible you could have volunteers who have the knowledge of working with Kickstarter make the campaign, so you can focus as much of your time as possible to creating the game you want Galaxy4D to be.
I personally have little to no knowledge in the website, but I am sure there are at least few interested people who may want to help. Wink 
That is actually a great idea Nick! People who want to help but can't put money could help via other means. 
But if you want to help even though you don't know much about kickstarter, if you'd like you could still help by finding the ones who do and recruit them, maybe via a Poll :Smile
Tho I will still need to record a nice presentation video of myself by myself, it could certainly help me save some time if others want to help with marketing, presentation and putting the video together... and possibly add in their own speech on what they think the game will be like... 

(2018-07-30, 22:34)Nick Wrote: But seriously, kudos to the server tech. If it is what I picture it to be, this game will be even better than it already is.
Server clustering tech is not coded yet, but I have a pretty good idea of how I want to do it. 
It will not be implemented for the Alpha 1 release though.
---------------------------------------------------
ZOlivier, 
Main developer and Founder of Galaxy4D

(2018-07-31, 01:44)ZOlivier Wrote: That is actually a great idea Nick! People who want to help but can't put money could help via other means. But if you want to help even though you don't know much about kickstarter, if you'd like you could still help by finding the ones who do and recruit them, maybe via a Poll :SmileTho I will still need to record a nice presentation video of myself by myself, it could certainly help me save some time if others want to help with marketing, presentation and putting the video together... and possibly add in their own speech on what they think the game will be like... 

Alright, that sounds great! Actually I have been reading up on Kickstarter, and I have gained a general knowledge of how it all works. I could help you with setting it up. I will contact you on Discord about the task, and we'll see how it goes from there. Big Grin

I will also do my best to try and find people who would like to help market the game, though it will be quite hard to find people who want to do work for free, since there's not many volunteer-type individuals out there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't choose this life. It was handed to me by the Universe.