Hello There, Guest! Not a member yet? Need to register?  

Help me out here.

Could someone please give me an introduction into astrophysics, in layman's terms please? I have an IQ close to 140, so I can understand a lot, but physics have always stumped me. (2nd year high school education, always loved physics, just hated the math, but I think I can come to love it given time and a better, less boring environment). Thanks!

(2018-09-04, 16:36)Orius Wrote: Could someone please give me an introduction into astrophysics, in layman's terms please? I have an IQ close to 140, so I can understand a lot, but physics have always stumped me. (2nd year high school education, always loved physics, just hated the math, but I think I can come to love it given time and a better, less boring environment). Thanks!

The Galaxy4D members and I sure can help you with that Smile

However this is a huge subject, we will need to know a few things about your current knowledge first. 
What do you know and understand well already, and what do you don't understand ?

What branch are you most interested in ?
  • Celestial bodies (Stars, Planets, moons, asteroids...)
  • Gravity (Why do you fall if you jump off a roof)
  • General and spacial Relativity (Einstein stuff)
  • Orbital mechanics (Why stuff turn around other stuff, and why are you weightless in space)
  • Newtonian mechanics (Objects in movement, speed, velocity, forces...)
  • Distant cosmos (Stars, weird space phenomenons, galaxies...)
  • Astronomical observation (Looking through a telescope)
  • Theoretical physics (The unknown stuff like time travel, multiverse, etc)
  • The Big Bang (BOOM!!! and the universe appeared)
---------------------------------------------------
ZOlivier, 
Main developer and Founder of Galaxy4D

My background knowledge on the points:

Celestial bodies: I know that there are planets, stars, galaxies, black holes, neutron stars, quasars (never understood, are they just super hearted black holes?), dwarf planets, dwarf stars, dwarf galaxies (at least I think that they are real, not sure though), asteroids, Ceres-like objects, rogue stars, and rogue planets

Gravity: what goes up must come down, mass determines gravity, centrifugal force can be used to make fake gravity, mass is not density, and gas giants have a massive gravity field

General/special relativity: time dilation due to gravity

Orbital mechanics: I know that orbits are fragile, and any slight change in any planets orbit means catastrophe for the rest of the solar system

Newtonian mechanics: I kinda remember his 3 laws, 1st is inertia (something that is not in motion needs an external force to get it moving), 2nd is f=ma, and 3rd is reaction forces

Distant cosmos: earth like planet hunting

Observation: parallax of stars, doppler shift of red and blue light

Theoretical physics: a little bit about the space time field and how the Alcubierre warp drive works

The Big Bang: a single particle initiated it (I think)

My interest in said categories:

Celestial bodies: looking for life on other planets mostly, stars, binary stars, triple stars

Gravity: not really, I feel like I know enough on this

General/special relativity: HELL YES

Orbital mechanics: Seems interesting

Newtonian mechanics: would be interested to see if there was more than just the three laws

Distant cosmos: I guess a little on weird space phenomenon and galaxies

Observation: I'm interested in things like what the Hubble sees (I mean cause that's just beautiful)

Theoretical Physics: YESYESYESYESYES

The Big Bang: I mean, I kinda get the jist of it, but it would be really cool to figure out how it happened